Vacancy Announcement – SOLJA Executive Director
Organization: Somaliland Journalists Association (SOLJA)
Job Title: Executive Director
Position Type: Full-time
Duty station: Hargeisa
Reports to: SOLJA Chairperson
Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland
Duration: 6 Months (with possibility of extension based on performance)
Starting Date: Monday July 12, 2021
Closing date: Thursday July 16, 2021 01:00 PM
Somaliland Journalist Association (SOLJA) is non-governmental, non-political, and nonprofit making organization founded in Somaliland on Feb 2003 by group of professional journalist and media expertise. Reason founded was to defend, develop, and build free, independent, and transparent media that promotes access to the right of information, and right to freedom of speech and expression in Somaliland. SOLJA strives to empower, strengthen capacity of its members, and ensure high standards of journalism/reportage in Somaliland. SOLJA has its head office in Hargeisa the capital city of Somaliland and operating across Somaliland and currently SOLJA has more than 900 Journalists and 25 media houses representing all regions of Somaliland.
- Job Description of the Position:
The Executive Director becomes the head of the SOLJA Secretariat & is required to plan, design, implement and manage the overall SOLJA day-to-day operations including human resource, financial and programs/projects activities in all Somaliland regions as well as the donors’ communications, relations & correspondences required under the supervision of the SOLJA chairperson. The priority of this position is to assure the delivery of high quality performance of both the programs/projects outputs and the donors’ creation of better communication and correspondence as well as the sustainability of the organization as a whole.
- Key Responsibilities and Duties:
The Executive Director performs the following key responsibilities & Terms of Reference (TOR) under the supervision of the SOLJA chairperson.
- S/he is in charge the overall planning, designing, developing, implementing and management of SOLJA day-to-day operations are smoothly running in Somaliland include human resource, financial and program/project activities.
- Supervise performance in the area of finance, Administration, and program operations, ensure individual job descriptions, update and review individual performance, inline performance with the job requirement and objectives.
- Ensure competitive and transparent recruitment processes, termination, changes, promotion, demotion and disciplines are as per the policy and procedures of the organization.
- Direct and support the process of budgeting, budgetary and budget planning, implementation and avoid exceeding allocations in various operations.
- Ensure timely implementations, monitoring and review of the organization’s projects, action plans and activities and measure result indicators against objectives.
- He/she is accountable to the SOLJA Chairperson.
- Lead the process of searching potential donors for sustainable funding; regularly develop new strategies and directions to SOLJA.
- Manage and oversee negations to ensure competitiveness and cost effectiveness of contracts/ agreements, include but not limited to the contracts of the employee, suppliers, premises, service providers and partnerships.
- Lead decisions related to disciplines in consultations with the concerned department and the senior management team members and according the policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all organizations assets are effectively and properly utilized such as transport, equipment, cash, and other belongings are safe and utilized to the official business of SOLJA.
- Ensure the presence of effective representation of all matters and issues pertaining to the organization internal and external operation activities.
- Regularly initiate the development of new proposals writing in the third quarter of the year and make sure proposal reaches current partners on time and according to their requirement
- Supervise the process and the preparation of reporting schedules; ensure that all internal/external reports are on time, complete, accurate and according to the agreed format, report reaches to the recipients.
- Participate or delegate staff member as required to attend any inter-agency regular meetings to update and aware staff members on the humanitarian development, changes and trends.
- To authorize all expenses and expenditures incurred on the official business and organizations operations.
- Maintain effective and regular collaboration and coordination with the SOLJA BOD sub committees at the HQ and regional level.
- Maintain close contact with board chairperson or his designated person and report any unusual matters immodestly, if necessary.
- Qualifications, Education & Experience Requirements:
Master’s degree of business administration, development studies, political sciences, law or equivalent experience is required.
- Excellent analytical and research skills required
- Must be able to function independently and to exercise discretion and judgment in sensitive issues.
- Must have excellent organizational skills and be extremely detail-oriented.
- Excellent report writing skills
- Good computer skills required, including word-processing and spreadsheet, power point for presentations.
- Must be familiar and have expertise the in the Somaliland media field
- Excellent writing, interpersonal and communication skills are necessary.
- Must be familiar with the political, social, economical, cultural and legal context of Somaliland.
- Must respect the principles of professionalism, equal opportunities, transparency, democracy and commitment to the development of Media outlets and Journalists.
- S/he must have at least five years progressive experience with civil society work in the field of development and human rights, especially Freedom of expression and Media Development.
- Mode of Application:
All interested candidates should bring on hand their CV and motivation letter (both in English) with the contacts of three reference persons, who are familiar with the personality and previous work of the candidate, & NOT later than Thursday July 16, 2021 01:00 PM .
He/She have to drop a sealed envelope containing the required application documents at SOLJA head office. Address: Sha’ab Area, Behind. Frantz Fanon University Hargeisa-Somaliland. The Deadline of the application will be Thursday July 16, 2021 01:00 PM
Applications submitted after this date will NOT accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.